Followers

Sunday, November 7, 2021

House Mouse

Yes, that is who I am sometimes - BUT! I'm not the only one in here! I had set out all of the ingredients early this morning with the intention of baking a batch of walnut bars. Then I decided to take my shower first and went into the linen closet for a fresh towel. WHAT!! Little white snowballs tumbled out and onto the floor. Tons of them! Millions of them! Since two days ago when I put linens away. It only took a minute for me to see why. I had stored seven Viva paper towel rolls (not in wrapper) on the upper shelf on top of some blankets. The paper towels were absolutely tattered and shredded all over the place. What a cleanup I had as I took each one to the kitchen to tear off damaged sheets over the waste basket leaving a trail on the floor. Then the fun began as I removed all contents of that large linen closet. Thank goodness, the only stars of the show were the towels. I have no items on hand to curb the enthusiasm of the little invading critters so I had to call in the reserves to go shopping for my immediate needs. I'll know better next time. What a cleanup I then had! Soooo I forfeited the shower and went to baking. The next cleanup was much easier if you will believe that!

By the way, in the last week, I had already trapped and tossed a couple that were lurking in the carport (trap and all) into the trash can. 'Tis the season!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Walnut Bars


Ingredients 

4 tablespoons butter (melted and cooled) 

3/4 cups flour (all-purpose ) 

1/2 teaspoon salt 

3/4 teaspoon baking powder 

1/8 teaspoon baking soda 

1 large egg 

1 cup light brown sugar (firmly packed) 

1 teaspoon vanilla extract 

1 cup walnuts (chopped) 


Steps to Make It 

  1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour an 8-inch square baking pan. 
  2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour with salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Whisk or stir to blend thoroughly. 
  3. In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat the egg for 2 to 3 minutes, or until foamy. 
  4. Add the brown sugar, melted butter, and vanilla; beat well. 
  5. Stir in flour mixture until well blended. 
  6. Fold the walnuts into the batter. 
  7. Spoon the thick batter into the prepared baking pan and spread it evenly with a spatula. 
  8. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 to 24 minutes, or until browned and the top has formed a crust. 
  9. Cut into 2-inch bars; cool in pan. The recipe makes about 16 walnut bars. 

Tips 

Check the brownies after 20 minutes to avoid overbaking.  


3 comments:

  1. What a mess, I'm sure But your bars look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh I hate mice!!! They are soooo dirty and you have to look everywhere... Take everything out..... Clean all shelves/drawers/etc. A horrrrid job.

    Had my "Mouse Man" come last year, after the fact.

    Had him this year, to make sure they had no way inside, for this winter.

    I HATE MICE INFESTATIONS!!!!!

    But yummy baking!

    🍂 🍁 🍂 🍁 🍂

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a mess you had to clean up but the bars look great!

    ReplyDelete