Followers

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Remembering Church Choir

“Calvary Song” As remembered by me when in Methodist Junior Choir, always sung as part of Easter. I remember both the words and the melody but cannot find it anywhere on the Internet.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
The pilgrims strolled through the city gates ‘ere the night was falling fast.
They go to watch on calvary hill ‘till the twilight hours are past.

Tho’ dark be the way with eyes of hope,
They gaze on the cross above,

And lo, from each heart, the shadows depart,
As they gaze on his face above,
As they gaze on his face above.
.............................
Rest, rest to the weary, peace, peace to the soul,
Tho’ life may be dreary, earth is not thy goal.

Oh come to me children, lift, lift up thine eyes
I will not forsake thee, 
I will not forsake thee,
I will not forsake thee,
Though all else shall flee, though all else shall flee.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Some of the words may be incorrect and I believe there was another verse. The memory has lingered in my head for all of these years since 1952. Then music was played on a huge pipe organ and the choir master was Mr. Welch. We sang with great inspiration. He was a motivator and dedicated leader.

I’m not even sure it was considered a hymn. Maybe the Organist/Choir Master wrote it!
UPDATE:
My friend found the original for me!
click on the link below

1 comment:

  1. Poignant. And I like the church against the beautiful sky.

    ReplyDelete