Followers

Monday, April 27, 2020

Back to the 40's

Or it might be the 50's, I'm not sure.

This recipe clip that I found on the internet many years ago came from an old magazine and I had saved it but don't even remember even baking one! Today was the day.
As I got the ingredients out in preparation to make this cake, I noticed that my cocoa had gone lumpy but decided to use it anyway in both the cake mixture and my scratch icing. (It was in a new sealed container.)
From the internet
The mayonnaise cake originated during the Great Depression when people didn't have as much access to eggs and oil. Brands who made mayo even added the recipe right to the jar! You can see there is no added salt in this recipe and that is because there is salt already in the mayonnaise. 

My Results:
please click on image to view larger
OH YES! It was delicious!
AND THEN! I found this article on the internet. This is the image I saved many years ago. Please click on link below.

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. Wish I could eat chocolate. I have to stay away from ANYTHING that has just a nano ounce of caffeine because of my svt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake does look yummy. I have lots of mayonnaise. When I ordered groceries I made the mistake of getting two jars of value size which is 60 per cent more than the regular size. My can of Hershey's cocoa is so old. Every time I clean the pantry I can't bring myself to throw it away. I think I should get new cocoa before I try the cake. :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked the internet and old cocoa power is fine to use.

      Delete