Followers

Saturday, July 18, 2020

First Time Out in a While

Four weeks ago I injured my knee. It's not all better yet, but I'm making a little progress. I simply cannot sit idle - I cannot! Today was my first day out on the golf car with my camera. Things have really grown! ...each in its own time. Today is tiger lily time. They abound and were everywhere I went. Queen Anne's Lace (wild carrot) and pretty purple thistles showed off their spirit as well. The nectar and pollen of thistles are valuable food sources to bees, butterflies, and other pollinators. Some songbirds also feed on thistle seeds. Nature knows.....  just saying...
There is some wild mullein growing but not in bloom yet. From the internet I learned that the flower is used to make medicine. It is used for cough, whooping cough, tuberculosis, bronchitis, hoarseness, pneumonia, earaches, colds, chills, swine flu, fever, allergies, tonsillitis and sore throat. It is traditionally used for its ability to promote the discharge of mucus and to soothe mucus membranesPerhaps I should keep in mind where I found these!! At the bottom of this post is a link about Mullein tea.
I think this wild bush is an invasive wild honeysuckle. I see many of them throughout the area. It might be poisonous too, I don't know. The closest photo I found identified it as Morrows Honeysuckle.
And on June 21,  I thought this was a portal to a peaceful place, but today I see that it is only a massive "KEEP OUT" gate.
please click on image to view larger
Mullein Information

1 comment: