Followers

Sunday, January 12, 2020

Porch Hangings

People often walk around the lake for fresh air and exercise. The other day I noticed a woman who came right up to the front porch and she was examining my craft projects. I opened the door and asked if I could help her with something and she replied, "Are your porch decorations for sale?"

I think she was a guest of a resident, so I explained that I make them for my enjoyment and they are one of a kind, not for sale at all. Then...she wanted to know how I make them!

So... I went on to describe the process of finding the elements around my home area, cleaning them, and then deciding what to create. There is no plan, no process the same, some results good, some not as good, but all for my recreation and relaxation. I like looking out the windows and seeing them move in the winds. I don't have any instructions as to making any of these. The end results are never known when I begin. I told her the "story" about each one. I think she went away with ideas of her own. I never did ask who she was or where she came from. It didn't matter.
Short stories of each one below image.
50 cent metal wreath found at yard sale.
Roadside pinecones, teasel, jute, feathers.
Today the spring birds have stripped the jute for nesting material.
Roadside pinecones washed and baked, sticks, jute.
This was difficult to assemble.
It has to balance so no element bumps the other.
It swings freely and is fun to watch.
This one started out to be a star.
The sticks are from honey tea-dipping lollypops.
Two sided with jute base.
Craft poms and pipe cleaners.
Roadside teasel secured by young agile friend.
Stems cut and stripped of prickly needles.
Assembled with craft wire and hot glue. 
Roadside pinecones washed and baked dry.
Pinecones attached to wire form.
Burlap material wrapped between pinecones.
please click on image to view larger
To review previous posts regarding these items you can click on a link that will take your there in more detail.





4 comments:

  1. These are impressive pieces, and just perfect for your cabin. I think there must be a story about the cabin that I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well....put on your reading glasses...There are 4 parts to the cabin story. Here are my links.

    http://connectinggere.blogspot.com/2011/01/cabin-part-1.html

    http://connectinggere.blogspot.com/2011/01/cabin-part-2.html

    http://connectinggere.blogspot.com/2011/01/cabin-part-3.html

    http://connectinggere.blogspot.com/2011/01/cabin-part-4.html

    http://connectinggere.blogspot.com/2011/01/cabin-part-5-conclusion.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will have to copy and paste these links into the address line - one at a time. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete