Followers

Thursday, January 9, 2020

My, My, Apple Pie

I noticed that there was just one package of dehydrated apples left in the freezer. It was dated October 2017. Yes, I know they would have lasted much longer but we were hankering for pie, so....

I have used this simple recipe many times and it is a no-fail project. The Mister just had his daily mid-morning snack and kept smackin' his lips and ummmmmm-ing! A winner again!

I like like the no-muss, no-fuss aspect. I did add about 1/2 C of golden raisins, just because I had some on hand.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Apple (Dried) Apple Pie
1 1/2 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cup dried apples
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small cubes
Pre-made, unbaked two-crust pie dough (available in your local grocer near pre-made cookie dough)
In a large bowl, pour boiling water over the dried apples and let soak for a few hours or until they rehydrate. Once rehydrated, add the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir until well combined.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-inch pie pan with the pie dough. Pour the apple mixture into the pie pan and add the small cubes of butter so that they are well distributed across the apple mixture. Cover the pie with the remaining pie dough. Using a fork or your fingers, press down the pie dough sides so that it forms a rippled crust.
Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool, and serve.
To view larger, please click on image
I'll have to hydrate more apples this year. FOR SURE!

6 comments:

  1. I was tempted today to bake an apple pie, but went ahead with your Bread Pudding as planned. I am glad I did for Dan thought it was perfect with a cup of coffee on a gloomy rainy day. I didn't put quite as much sugar as called for but it seemed sweet enough. Thank you for the recipe. It's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part is that any kind of bread will do and you can also add any dried or rehydrated fruits.

      Delete
  2. Oh my...yours looks much more tasty. I made a cherry pie. Good, but Apple & raisin just sounds better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my...yours looks much more tasty. I made a cherry pie. Good, but Apple & raisin just sounds better.

    ReplyDelete