Followers

Monday, January 13, 2020

Ham

Our son and his partner gave us and his sister each a 12 lb. spiral ham for Christmas. I just got around to baking mine before the "use by" date in February.  Now we have ham for dinner, ham for breakfast, ham for lunch, ham for brother, ham for neighbor, ham for trashman. I know slices won't freeze well because they go "watery" and I also know what fabulous split pea soup will be made from the bone when it is stripped of meat.

Hey! It's winter. What else could I better spend my time doing besides baking, roasting, cooking, preparing meals? You get my point, and I also read books. I like these activities very much.

My home is my castle. My kitchen is my favorite room.
(I believe my husband thinks there is a food fairy living here because he doesn't participate in this activity - ever.) 

LINKS:   Split Pea Soup
                Split Pea Soup Prep

3 comments:

  1. Split pea soup is a favorite. This ham looks delicious. Thankfully all the menfolk in my life are good cooks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I enjoyed visiting your cabin! The best of fun was had from looking at all the wonderful photos of your family. I ventured a bit farther, backward or forward (I'm not sure which) and found more pictures of you and your good friend, Joan, I think. You were both real beauties! And, those first four children of yours...are they not the cutest kids!

    The ham does look delicious! My hubby isn't too keen on kitchen work, either, even though he does stir up a bit of breakfast, now and then, if he has too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed my stories. The older I get, the more memories surface!

      Delete