Followers

Saturday, January 18, 2020

OOPS!

Way back when my brother and I believed that Santa left gifts in our stockings which were hung on a cardboard fireplace, we always knew we'd get special treats - the same every year. His would be a box of Velveeta cheese, ALL for himself. Mine would be a can of sweetened condensed milk, ALL for myself!

My mom made many dishes in those days, using the Velveeta cheese but I only really remember that she would melt some in the saucepan along with a can of Campbell's tomato soup and some milk. This sauce was then poured over toast for "Welsh Rarebit." Well now I'm aware that her mixture really didn't come close to the real dish, but we kids loved it anyway. One more memory was that she would put pre-toasted bread in the oven and cover it with this cheese, which would melt and form a crispy crust on top.

I recently saw it in the market and bought a box. I thought it would be nice in the quiche dishes that I make. WRONG! Guess I didn't realize that it doesn't shred! Goopy, awful stuff all stuck in my hand grater.  Soooooo, after the fail,  I just sliced the remainder into chunks and wrapped each one in plastic, and put them in the refrigerator. I started a computer search for recipes for this product and soon learned that it is not good to freeze it and also that it isn't really cheese!

I put my crustless quiche together as planned.  First, I covered the dish bottom with ground ham, and then the pre-drained frozen spinach. I topped it all with Parmesan-Romano cheese. I beat six eggs with a little milk and poured over the mixture. Last, the clumps of Velveeta cheese were placed on top and the dish was baked in 350° oven for 40 minutes. After checking it, a sprinkle of paprika was used and the last 10 minutes it was put under the broiler.  Yay! Success! Tasty! Lesson learned: Never try to shred Velveeta cheese.
Click on image to view larger 
 For some interesting information please click on link below.

2 comments:

  1. The nutritionists always told me Velveeta cheese is lethal for the arteries. But it's so tasty

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nutritionists always told me Velveeta cheese is lethal for the arteries. But it's so tasty

    ReplyDelete