Followers

Sunday, January 26, 2020

Once is Enough

Now, if I were much younger I might not be saying this, but.... my latest baking project of Amish Ham Meatloaf is most likely the first and the last for me to complete. I think it will be a one and only. The funny part is that I see all kinds of baking dishes and recipes on Facebook by people I know, but I'll bet that the pretty pictures of the finished products are never baked by the posting person! If I post it, I've baked it!

Back to this one. I was talking with my neighbor about using left over spiral ham pieces and he told me that he once ate a very tasty loaf made with left-over ground ham. He said it was very different than the usual meatloaf. That perked my interest so I found the recipe that seemed to be the one he was talking about on the internet. His key word was "Amish."

Well, since I had all of the ingredients except for the ground pork I proceeded to purchase it and got started. Let me tell you that anyone who makes this needs to have very strong arms and hands. Very. Mixing was the hardest labor of all. I followed the directions to the "T" to be sure my efforts wouldn't be in vain.

Here is the loaf ready to go in the oven after 30 minutes of resting. I guess that was to let the spices permeate the meat better.
And the finished loaf ready to be sliced. I definitely will have to freeze some. Dinner is ready!
Please click on image to view larger
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Yield: 10 Servings Author: Renee Paj 
Amish Ham Loaf
prep time: 40 mins cook time: 1 hour and 10 mins total time: 1 hours and 50 mins
Similar to meatloaf, this Amish Ham Loaf is made with ground ham and pork, seasoned with curry powder, ground ginger, and nutmeg then glazed with a sweet and sour sauce.

INGREDIENTS:
     For Ham Loaf
1 pound ground ham (about 3 cups)
1 pound ground pork
2 to 2 1/2 cups soft white bread crumbs

2 large eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 TBSP lemon juice
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 TBSP yellow mustard

     For Glaze
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
Ketchup (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:
     To Make the Ham Loaf
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a broiler pan by covering the bottom portion in foil. Replace the slotted top and spray lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. In large bowl, with hands, combine the ground ham, ground pork, and 2 cups soft bread crumbs.
  3. In medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, onion, lemon juice, ginger, nutmeg, and mustard.
  4. Pour wet ingredients into bowl with ham/pork/breadcrumb mixture and combine with hands until it all comes together. If it feel too wet, add the rest of the breadcrumbs.
  5. Shape into an oblong loaf onto prepared broiler pan. Let sit for about 30 minutes before putting into oven.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes. Baste with 1/2 the glaze. Return to oven and bake for another 15 minutes. Baste with the remainder of the glaze. Return to oven for another 15 to 25 minutes. Top with ketchup, if desired, and pop into oven for another couple of minutes.
  7. Let rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
     To Make the Glaze
1. Combine all glaze ingredients except ketchup in a small saucepan and heat to boiling. Take off heat and use as directed in the Ham Loaf instructions above.

4 comments:

  1. I can't picture a meat loaf made with ham tho. Leftover ham? Ham salad sandwiches would be my druthers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all those spices plus the addition of ground pork and the glaze is what made it so good.

      Delete
  2. This does look good! And, since it has no gluten, I could eat this. I am finding out that you are a wonderful cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's somewhat like crafting - putting things together and then enjoying the results.

      Delete