Followers

Sunday, March 7, 2021

Closet Checking

One of my friends said she is keeping an old blanket from when she was a child and doesn't know why. I think I know why. Our childhood treasures remind us of the past in a good way. Her note prompted me to check out two items that I have and treasure them as well. So, I dug deep, took them out of their protective wraps and - lo and behold - they are still in great condition! (I do not know how to get wrinkles out of old muslin that was washed and put away a long time ago, though.)

The first is this muslin candlewick coverlet that my mother made for me either before or soon after I was born. I'm not sure of the date. She did tell me that it kept her busy learning how to design it. It measures 42" x 66" and might have shrunk when it was washed. Nice pattern, don't you think?

The next item has handwritten note that Mother wrote. Isn't her penmanship lovely? It measures 26" x 36" which is just right for a cover in the baby carriage in the winter! I have a picture of "Aunt Ida" that I treasure too.
Those were the days!!
please tap on image to view larger
If you would like instructions for candlewicking please click on link Candlewicking Embroidery

4 comments:

  1. All kids were taught cursive writing then !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Ms G, what wonderful treasures you share today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The candlewick coverlet is a real treasure. I must research how this embroidery is done. I really like that the afghan is set together with black ~ another beautiful piece. I love the old picture.

    ReplyDelete