Followers

Monday, August 4, 2014

Summer Squash Soup - My Way


Bluffton Slaw Cutter

"Manufacturing one of the best Cutters and Graters in the world has been the goal of The Bluffton Slaw Cutter Company since it's founding in 1915.  This is achieved by hammered blades that wear sharp with use.  These tools are a life-time investment and are efficient, hand-operated and easy to use and clean.  The user controls the texture and thickness of fruits and vegetable by pressure and speed.  Major markets of the Bluffton, Ohio Company are the United States, Canada and Japan.

AKA/ Kraut Cutter: Fast-sweep pattern, speeds operation."
This 100 year old kitchen utensil once belonged to the Mister's mother and I use it regularly. I've sliced my thumb tip several times through the years and now remember to be very careful! My dishwashing basin works very well as a large bowl.


I have added one large chopped onion to the sliced squash.

All of my slicing and chopping was being done while the skins and bones from yesterday's barbeque chicken pieces were simmering on the stove to make the stock. I strained it with my old colander.


I sauteed in my old cast iron skillet. It sure smelled good in here!

I simmered the stock and vegetables for about 1/2 hour. 

The old blender was put to use after the mixture cooled down.

I had quite a cleanup but it was worth it! (You DO know not to wash your cast iron cookware in soapy water, don't you? )

The carrot/citron/poke cake I made yesterday went well with our bowls of the soup. No need to add shredded cheese or crumbled bacon. It is really very hearty! and tasty! I'll freeze the two quarts for another day. 

Don't forget to click on an image to view larger!

How to make Summer Squash Soup by Suzanne McMinn
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 pound yellow squash and/or zucchini, sliced
1 head garlic, peeled and chopped
5 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon seasoning*
*The recipe as written suggests lemon pepper, but you can choose any seasoning or herbs you like. I like it with crushed red pepper.
Saute onion, squash/zucchini, and garlic in a large skillet in the olive oil.

Add the chicken stock and simmer until the vegetables are tender.

Transfer mixture to a large blender–blend in batches if your blender isn’t big enough for the entire thing. You could also do this in batches in a large food processor.

Blend till smooth.

A little shredded cheese on top or crumbled bacon is really good with this soup. This soup would also be great with the addition of some cooked diced potatoes or chicken to make a more hearty meal. (Add potatoes or chicken post-blending.)

2 comments:

  1. I wish I lived near you. These dishes look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy! I adore that you still use the same trusty gadgets from a generation (or two) ago. My grandmother cooked in cast iron frequently. There's just something about food prepared in them. Yes, soap is definitely a no-no!

    ReplyDelete