Followers

Saturday, June 18, 2022

Father's Day Memories

I have posted many tributes to my dad on this day in the past years, but still want to show you a bit of why I am and who I am today as the last of his surviving children.

Memories are still so very clear for me and IF I had the energy I would dig out some more old pictures from family albums to scan more. Nevertheless, words will have to do with the current ones I have.

One of the memories is of him sitting in the overstuffed chair, and me around age 6-8, sitting up on the back, around his shoulders with my legs over his chest and combing his hair. Yes! It seemed to give him pleasure. Why? Well I don't really know why but I do remember using an old ace comb and going over and over his head with this fine tooth tool. No, he didn't have bugs, but perhaps dandruff was the reason. Yucky? Not for me. I loved to please him. 

He once brought home (in his farmer's coat pocket) a tiny yellow tiger kitten that he had found pinned by a tractor wheel from a farm many miles away. When he revealed  his pocket surprise for me, the tail was very short. He said he had to cut her free and the best way was to sacrifice her tail! He told me he dipped the bleeding stump in some salt and that I was not to worry because it would be OK. Well "Goldie" lasted 13 years. There is more to the Goldie story but I'll keep that for another time! 

He also brought home for me a horse in the back of a borrowed pick-up truck soon after my first horse had to be put down due to an accident in her pasture. This was his way of giving comfort through having understanding farm friends willing to help out.

He really enjoyed getting dressed up for church, Masonic and other events. His carriage turned proud when his best clothes were worn, and the cow-tester that was his occupation and livelihood turned into a very handsome fellow. Oh, did I tell you that he was also a superb tenor singer? Every time I hear "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" I tear up as he sang it to me often.

His name for me was "Chick."  He would often call me to observe and also to learn how to use "cellar tools" when he was working on a project or when repairing a broken appliance. Yes, there were cellar tools, garage tools and garden tools. Some are still with me here. He taught me frugality is smart.

This friendly-to-all man was the neighborhood 'go-to' person for whatever was happening in the lives of others. Sharing was very important and so was caring - really truly caring. He was a good man and a father who always held my respect.

please tap to view larger

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to your father. I am glad he saved Goldie. I have a few stories I could tell about hauling farm animals in a pick-up truck. Stock trailers were a wonderful invention.

    ReplyDelete