Followers

Saturday, August 28, 2021

First Timers

My daughter brought me a 1/4 head of a very large cabbage. I cut it up and cooked it in a little water. At the same time I cooked about one cup of elbow macaroni in the microwave oven. I put these two items together with some pre-baked small Italian meatballs and red sauce with a dollop of butter. It was just an idea I had to use the cabbage. A surprise was that it was a very successful combination, especially when I topped it off with grated Parmesan/Romano cheese. It made two meals so I froze one.

Today I made walnut bars, because I discovered a forgotten small bag of chopped walnuts in the freezer. I have never made them before but felt a bit adventurous regarding the recipe that I found a long time ago and had saved but never made. Result? Darn good, especially since I needed a sugar boost after this baking project, including cleanup. After transferring into a storage container it was hard not to eat two! (pat on back, please)......
please click on image to view larger
..........................................................................
RECIPE

Walnut Bars


Ingredients 

4 tablespoons butter (melted and cooled) 

3/4 cups flour (all-purpose ) 

1/2 teaspoon salt 

3/4 teaspoon baking powder 

1/8 teaspoon baking soda 

1 large egg 

1 cup light brown sugar (firmly packed) 

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 

1 cup walnuts (chopped) 


Steps to Make It 

  1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour an 8-inch square baking pan. 
  2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour with salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Whisk or stir to blend thoroughly. 
  3. In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat the egg for 2 to 3 minutes, or until foamy. 
  4. Add the brown sugar, melted butter, and vanilla; beat well. 
  5. Stir in flour mixture until well blended. 
  6. Fold the walnuts into the batter. 
  7. Spoon the thick batter into the prepared baking pan and spread it evenly with a spatula. 
  8. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 to 24 minutes, or until browned and the top has formed a crust. 
  9. Cut into 2-inch bars; cool in pan. The recipe makes about 16 walnut bars. 

Tips 

Check them after 20 minutes to avoid over-baking. 


 


3 comments:

  1. I make something similar to your walnut bars. I add salted peanuts & peanut butter to the very same recipe. Ooey_chewy! I will try your walnut bars to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be making a copy of your walnut bars recipe. I know my family will love these! I wish I had one right now. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum ! Doug is on a sugar fast to get good numbers for the doc in October. So I am too ! The squares look delicious ❣❣❣❣

    ReplyDelete