Followers

Saturday, August 22, 2020

Yay and Nay

Our ancient paper towel/wax paper dispenser that hangs on the wall by the sink has outlived its life. The edges of the flap down covers are extremely sharp and for someone who isn't familiar with this it would be dangerous. Time to go.

I have been looking for another one for several years now. At first I thought a wooden holder would work, but the more I thought about it I wanted something red and NOT plastic! I wanted something metal and heavy and free standing. Today I took a ride and saw a yard sale at a neighboring lake. Well, what do you think I found? Hah Hah!! Perfect and just $4.00. I saw similar ones online costing between $11 and $35.00!
Today I made watermelon rind candy. It has been years since doing this. It will be my last batch ever. I forgot how labor intensive the process could be. I no longer have a candy thermometer and had to use the soft ball method to know if the syrup was at the correct temperature. Way too much sugar was called for. But I did it and it's not a total failure, just not a project I want to do ever again. Right now it is drying out on parchment paper. I think my rinds were not thick enough as my melon was a small round one. 
please click on image to view larger

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of that. It looks like gummy candy. Hope it was good. Blessings, xoxo, Susie
    p.s. great buy for the paper towel

    ReplyDelete
  2. That paper towel holder looks great. Good find’

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the paper towel holder ❣

    ReplyDelete
  4. The towel holder is perfect. By the sound of the amount of sugar in the candy...I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete