Followers

Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Red Onion Fermentation

The second batch of fermented onions is completed after two weeks and I'll tell you that the fermentation crock that I bought from Alford Wayman of Creek Road Pottery LLC is doing a great job. This activity is all new to me and I'm starting to feel comfortable with the process and the end result. This time I did one medium red onion and the result was one pint of goodness. Recipe below. I kinda made it up. YUM! My mother didn't ferment foods but I am now convinced that authentic handmade functional pottery for everyday use is definitely the way to go, especially if not wanting to create large batches. 

MY RECIPE
  • 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 T granulated sugar
  • 1 T Morton's Natural Sea Salt
  • 6 whole cloves
  • 1 high quality cinnamon stick (McCormick)
Two weeks in pot with weights and water in lid groove. No peeking!

I have more ideas in mind. Stay tuned! NOPE! Not this new asparagus - something else.
please click on image to view larger

1 comment:

  1. Onions look terrific. I know you said no asparagus, but I must say I've never heard of pickled asparagus anyway. Lol

    ReplyDelete