Followers

Monday, June 1, 2020

Potted and Unmasked and Shopped

I sure created a mess on the porch when filling the pot with soil and succulents. However, the end result is fine. I poked 7 varieties into this container and hope they survive. It was a rough journey for them. The little Dutch shoe plants are settling in well.
I unmasked James and put his forsythia garland away. Now he sports June flowers. He's much happier.
We traveled to grocery shop at Walmart for the first time in over two months.  We made the mistake of parking at the left end of this store where we usually go to enter. We walked to the entrance and saw signs that it was designated for emergency EXITS only. Then we walked to the far end and the entrance there had a fellow with a clipboard. Already we had trouble breathing. We agreed to meet near the rest area as usual after checkout. The Mister went to get all over-the-counter items and soda. I found everything on my 27 item list. Was surprised to see all Charmin toilet paper racks were full.
Still didn't need any but bought a 9 pack just because I could! The meat slicing lady in the deli section was new to me. I had asked her for 1/2 lb. Sahlen's Smokehouse Ham sliced thin, not shaved, and laid flat. It took long. Finally when she put the stack up to weigh it it weighed 1.68 lbs. WHAT? She was chatting with the co-worker the entire time she was slicing and not paying attention, I guess. I refused the large amount and had her take away the excess and only package 1/2 lb. for me. When checking out, the lady was new to me too. She was overly pleasant BUT constantly checking an item and then voiding the entry and then entering it again! There was a total of 6 "voids" on my slip at the end. Now when finished, we usually sit on the bench by the restrooms to wait for the partner to check through. NO SITTING BENCHES THERE! So I stood and the Mister finally came through. I was very surprised that they let the clerk use our own Walmart blue bags to pack our purchases. They are old. We brought them back to PA from SC in 2016! Even the town grocer won't let us use our own bags no matter what kind. They pack in plastic bags. The main reason we like shopping there is because we know where to easily find things and the prices are much lower than shopping locally. I think we'll wait a few weeks more before returning as it wasn't worth the aggravation. Shoppers and employees were all wearing masks and keeping their distance. Shelves were well stocked but there was a feeling of pressure to just get through this and get back home.
(please click on image to view larger)

2 comments:

  1. I do not like Walmart...period. I find our Texas local chain store cheaper. And much more congenial. On another note....I LOVE YOUR plantings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do like our small Hometown Market and all of the people there but the prices are quite a bit higher as we only shop every two weeks.

    ReplyDelete