Followers

Thursday, May 7, 2020

for the birds...

All throughout the day yesterday, both I and the Mister knocked down the robin's start of her nest in the carport many times. I used the broom, he used the leaf blower. She sure packs one with multiple types of material, but she is not allowed to nest up there, as persistent as she may be. There are a couple of reasons. The first one being that we let it happen several years ago, the babies were born and she flew in and out regularly to feed them. It was a pleasure to see - UNTIL I saw a crow fly in and snatch a baby robin. Word got out and soon all of the babies were gone. I said, NEVER AGAIN will I watch this act of nature and since then we have always knocked down nests over the beams in the carport. Now we have placed bricks and bent-up pie tins in any spot that we think she will try again.

We went to the farm market and picked up some geraniums, portulaca, and pink begonias for planting next week. We are supposed to get some snow inches Saturday so they will remain in the car trunk area as they were in a large greenhouse before today.

Surprise! I saw the first hummingbird fly through the porch and hovered, searching for the feeder. It realized it wasn't there so flew to better places for its drink. Well, It didn't take me but a few minutes to boil up some water, retrieve the already-sanitized feeder, fix the nectar and get it hung out right away! I KNOW it was looking for a drink. I KNOW it will return. I HOPE I'll see it drink. SOON! Excited here.
Our family in Philadelphia keeps busy in different ways and this photo tells me they have a rock fence garden. Neat!
P.S. my leaf from last year is now officially a blooming tuberous begonia. This makes me happy - very happy.
please click on image to view larger
My new fermentation pot now has a sliced onion concoction brewing. No peeking! In two weeks I'll let you know how and what and IF!

1 comment: