Followers

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

First Fermentation

Back on May 3 the beautiful fermentation pot arrived. It was a gift to myself just because I loved the shape and the handle on the top! I did know, however that the potter was a very competent local fellow. In fact he says, "It's not just pottery or handmade, it's an everyday lifestyle with art." And so it is!

I discovered that mine was the first he has created and that makes me feel special too. He signed it on the bottom.
 I must tell you that I have never fermented anything but felt up to the challenge. I started with four small cooking onions I had on hand. I found several recipes on the internet but the one I chose was so simple that I had the confidence to give it a try.

Two weeks ago I put together the following:

  • 4 small thinly sliced onions (the recipe called for a red but I didn't have one. 
  • 1/2 C cider vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
  • 1 1/2 Tbl. Caster sugar (I had to look that up, and used powdered sugar instead of the very fine caster type)
  • 2 tsp. Maldon sea salt. (I used Morton's Natural Sea Salt-no iodine).
  • 1 C boiling water (I used tap water. We have a good deep well)

I pushed it down, put the two weights over it, covered with the lid, filled the groove on the top of the pot with water and waited two weeks without peeking! I did add a little water to the groove after about one week.

Today was the DAY! There was NO mold and NO scum! I scooped out the onions into three 4 oz. glass jars that I had on hand and ladled the juice into each one until there was nothing left. OF COURSE I tasted it! The Mister tasted too! The fermented onion slices are crunchy, and a bit sour but the more I ate, the better I liked the flavor. Perhaps a little more sugar would be to our taste. Perhaps brown sugar would be better than powdered.
 DEFINITELY a success! YAY! I have already started another and will tell you that this one is a bit fancier with red onion, a stick of cinnamon, whole cloves, and other stuff. When I put the lid on this time it actually was burping itself!! Two more weeks and the report will be in!

Below is the link to my first blog when I received the pot If you would like to see what it looks like.
The Pot's Arrival

3 comments:

  1. Picture of the pot please? ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Click on the link at the bottom of the post. There are many pictures there.

      Delete