I discovered that mine was the first he has created and that makes me feel special too. He signed it on the bottom.
Two weeks ago I put together the following:
- 4 small thinly sliced onions (the recipe called for a red but I didn't have one.
- 1/2 C cider vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
- 1 1/2 Tbl. Caster sugar (I had to look that up, and used powdered sugar instead of the very fine caster type)
- 2 tsp. Maldon sea salt. (I used Morton's Natural Sea Salt-no iodine).
- 1 C boiling water (I used tap water. We have a good deep well)
I pushed it down, put the two weights over it, covered with the lid, filled the groove on the top of the pot with water and waited two weeks without peeking! I did add a little water to the groove after about one week.
Today was the DAY! There was NO mold and NO scum! I scooped out the onions into three 4 oz. glass jars that I had on hand and ladled the juice into each one until there was nothing left. OF COURSE I tasted it! The Mister tasted too! The fermented onion slices are crunchy, and a bit sour but the more I ate, the better I liked the flavor. Perhaps a little more sugar would be to our taste. Perhaps brown sugar would be better than powdered.
Below is the link to my first blog when I received the pot If you would like to see what it looks like.
The Pot's Arrival
You truly have me salivating!ReplyDelete
Picture of the pot please? ��ReplyDelete
Click on the link at the bottom of the post. There are many pictures there.Delete