Followers

Thursday, April 8, 2021

The Call

This morning when I was baking chocolate chip cookies, the phone rang. When I answered it, a sobbing male voice said, "Grandma? This is your oldest grandson and I need you." Well, I thought about it and my oldest grandson is 32 so (innocently) I replied, "Mike?" Now that wasn't true. My oldest grandson is Nick. Just a senior moment, I guess. The male voice said yes and then told me his long-time girlfriend just died of cancer and he was driving to the funeral when he had a car crash and was arrested. He said he had only 5 minutes to call someone. He said his nose is broken and his lip is cut and the accident wasn't his fault.  (Nick is married, has no girlfriend with cancer. Mike is my oldest Great grandson.)

Well....my brain started to really kick in. ALERT! He asked me if I had a pencil and paper handy. I said no and I asked him why. He said he needed me to write down a number. I said no and he asked me why. I told him he was a scammer and he hung up!

Later the Mister checked the TV which keeps a running list of the phone calls coming in and gave me the number. I Googled it. It belonged to a real estate business in Wyoming Valley. I was going to call them to alert them that their phone number was being used as a scam. Guess what? The number is no longer in service. The Mister checked it again. I researched it again. I tried calling it again. Same result.

I really wonder how many other elderly people would have helped him out of his predicament!!!!! How he got my number I don't know but I do know to always be vigilant. There are some really rotten people out there! I'm one tough cookie with an eye on my bank account. Hope others are as well.

My baked cookies are delicious! James is getting his holes filled. Our yard guy is beginning the spring cleanup, so all is good.

Yes, we ate a 'few'!



3 comments:

  1. You do make the best looking cookies! I wonder if your cookie jar is ever empty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I tried 3 times early this morning to leave a comment. Guess my phone wasn't fully awake or being cantankerous.

    That's why I have photo photo ID & special ringtones for family & doctor...so we are not scammed. It's a shame the world has come so low.

    Bud would love your cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. We need to be vigilant about telephone scammers !!!!

    ReplyDelete