Followers

Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Why Didn't the Turtle Cross the Road?

Why did this turtle stay in the road? My daughter was the driver as we rode around the area on the golf car. Of course I had the camera but didn't really expect to see anything as an interesting subject. Wrong! We came up on this fat medium sized critter just sittin' on the warm road and surmise that he had traveled from the other side where there is a shallow lily-pad pond. Maybe he was heading for the large lake on the other side of that road! A man in a truck stopped and we all thought that if he tapped it on its shell with my cane it would move. Nope! It did a little, but not forward. We then left it alone with hopes for its safety. Yes, I did see the tucked-under left foot. Maybe it was broken. Maybe its weight was too much for it to straighten it out. Maybe that is how it just plain felt like resting. We also noticed that there were also three toenails missing on its right hind foot. My rule is to let nature take its course, but this time it was a hard one to follow. 

My driver did a great job maneuvering around it so I could get pictures from many angles. I'll have to hire her again!
please click on image to view larger for detail
P.S. I thought this was our huge lake turtle but it was just a log floating around. Darn!






























2 comments:

  1. Around here, traffic can be backed up while the front driver gets out, picks up the turtle (or in some cases shoos ducks or geese) off the road and then...we move on.

    Great series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you don't just pick up a snapper! They are very quick and have a strong snapper!

    ReplyDelete