Followers

Wednesday, September 9, 2020

OVALS

Does anyone "out there" favor oval shapes?  I know I do. For years my favorite dishes were oval shaped. As I look around here now, I realize that oval shaped things attract me. I still have three oval dinner dishes, old but not special; corn on the cob fits on them perfectly.  The turkey/ham platter is one of my oldest pieces as is the enamel tray. These are retired. 

Royal Cauldon Oval Serving Platter
15 1/2” x 11 1/2” Pattern ROC4 (Rose)
Vintage K.E.R. Sweden Enamel White/Blue Oval Serving Platter
17 1/2" x 12"
My favorite oven baking dish is a very heavy and thick gray glass. I remember buying it at a thrift shop many years ago for 50¢. Of course just about everyone has at least one metal oven roasting pan. I have four! 

I realized my love of ovals just today as I washed my hands. The old ironstone dish holds the bar of soap and another china one holds odds and ends. Maybe the general population doesn't even use a bar of soap at the kitchen sink to wash and the liquid pump soap has taken over, so a soap dish isn't needed! The china one may have been a restaurant ware piece in which to serve vegetables. That is what I think, as it was another thrift shop find from many years ago.
I have a 5 inch x 7.5 inch dish that often comes in handy as a side plate for pickles or olives or chunks of cheese. It's listed as a 1930's vintage white ironstone small platter on an Etsy site, worth $17.95. Worth more than that to me!
I wonder if the local potter would consider creating some small oval shaped somethings? It's just a thought. I'll ask him.

please click on image to view larger

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I have many oval pieces. And yes we have liquid soap dispensers by each sink...Even out by Bud's workshop...antibacterial waterless cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No pump soap here, either.

    The soaps in those, make a mess of my hands. I now use Dove. ~smile~

    ReplyDelete