Followers

Saturday, September 9, 2023

And the rains came down in a straight line wind event.

It was a hellova storm here at the lake. I have never seen such hard winds coming from the south, up over the dam road and onward. The water mist was actually picked up and moved to the other end of the lake. My zinnias were knocked down, the petals ripped off of the poppies and the sunflowers bent far to touch the ground! Scary stuff.

The worst of it all is that there was a death of a young man at our neighbor lake when a tree fell on him! Here are some images I took the next day. We were out of power for over 24 hours. As I rode around there were a lot of branches, leaves and other debris in the road. I was accompanied by the sound of generators at almost every home.

Up the road this large branch came down on a neighbor's garage roof.

The rabbits came out of hiding.
Further on my ride I saw another tree down but it didn't cause damage, just a major cleanup for the neighbor. His sunflowers were spared as his home is not on the lake.
There were several scenes like this one at neighboring properties.
As I continued my normal route it was good to see flowers that weren't damaged and a Honeyboat winter squash growing untouched.
On my way back home I drove by the tree stump that harbors a seedling and people have been putting piles of stones on it. The little tree is holey due to bugs but is hanging in!
As I returned, I saw the egret who was playing peek-a-boo. I watched him and sure enough he went fishing and left with a large one as he flew away.

Earlier in the morning three deer came down for a drink but I wasn't prepared well enough and my photos were too blurry to post. This doe and fawn come often. They have shown another where good water can be found and she came along as well. 

This sudden and strong wind sure did lots of damage. I have never seen such an event when the water lifted and moved along the top of the lake pushed by its power.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment