Followers

Thursday, September 14, 2023

And Autumn Begins...

I did have a lot of energy today. Probably this is due to my hope of it not being too cold to take a buggy ride. The first thing I did was to bake some raisin/walnut cookies. That warmed it up a bit in here. I love sharing my baked-from scratch products, even though the cleanup can be time consuming.

Then I went on a mission to see if the elderberries were ripe for picking. The road where I found a large bush leads to a friend's home so I went there right after having a difficult time cutting down some. It seems that the wind and rain have taken them away from other bushes! BUT this bush was accessible and it had a few. No one was home so I checked out the garden after seeing squash on the patio picnic table.
The Rose of Sharon bush was in full bloom and very beautiful. The last rose of summer?
As I rode further over the property to the garden area, I am now convinced that summer is really over. 
These are the leavings of the elderberries after I rinsed and plucked them off. Hint: A fork is used for easy plucking.
My yield is only about one cup. At least I have a few! I will refrigerate them and decide what to make with the ones I waited all year for. I'm thinking syrup. It won't be as labor intensive as adjusting my recipe for jelly. I have made jelly for so many years and never had a problem finding enough for the task. If you have them - treasure them! They are good for you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment