Followers

Monday, October 12, 2020

Autumn Colored Vegetable

Processing Butternut Squash doesn't seem to be as easy as I remember. Perhaps it is because I'm weaker and have less energy. Perhaps I should have undertaken this project before I worked on a craft and then processed whole beets. Anyway, the end result is very rewarding. The hardest part (for me) was slicing the squash lengthwise. I had to ask the Mister to assist in this operation. From then on, it was all in my ballpark. As the squash is cooling down, waiting to be pureed and then stored in two 3.2 cup containers, here I am, wanting to encourage readers who haven't ever done this before to do so - at least once in their lifetime. Winter squash are usually plentiful and really good for you. I haven't added a thing - yet - because I'm not sure how I'll prepare this but am confident it will be great. In case you might try it soon, here is my recipe below the images.

After scooping from baked halves
Waiting to be pureed and stored

RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 medium to large butternut squash
  • 3–4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • Generous sprinkle of salt and pepper
  • About 1/4 cup water

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil and preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Rinse off the outside of your squash and then cut it in half from top to bottom. Scoop out the seeds.
  3. Drizzle the inside of both pieces of squash with olive oil and give it a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper.
  4. Place the squash on the prepared pan, cut side down, and add the water to the bottom of the pan. (Just pour it around the squash). Place in the hot oven.
  5. Roast for 40-50 minutes until the squash is easily pierced with a fork or the tip of a knife.
  6. Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly, then scoop flesh from the skin.
  7. You can serve the squash as is, scooped straight from the skin with a little salt to taste. You can add it to a bowl and mash it with a little butter and a bit of brown sugar, or you can use it like you would any potato, sweet potato, or pumpkin in recipes.




 

1 comment: