Followers

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

More "Shrooms"

I'll just bet that you'd like me to stop my obsession with the "shrooms" that I've been showing you. Well, since they only appear in the summer, and are easily accessible to shoot, I will not stop - yet. Every time I examine them I discover something new.

Four days ago the Mister mowed the beachfront grass. I suggested to him that it would be OK to mow over the existing crop of mushrooms under the large Spruce tree. I already had my pictures.

This morning I was compelled to take more shots because they popped up again. (I knew they would.)




This one has collapsed
Do you see what I see?
It's hard to take pictures with sticky fingers, but I did!
I flipped it over (messy)
Yes, tiny maggots feasting!
Click on photo to view larger
Now I wonder about the maggots! What will they become?

Research:
Gnat Fly Larvae
Internet picture
Fungus GNAT!  Mycetophilid larvae mostly feed on fleshy or woody fungi.
Internet picture

DID YOU KNOW?
The FDA allows 100 maggots for every 100 grams of canned mushrooms.
Canned mushrooms may have “over 20 or more maggots of any size per 100 grams of drained mushrooms and proportionate liquid” or “five or more maggots two millimeters or longer per 100 grams of drained mushrooms and proportionate liquid” or an “average of 75 mites” before provoking action by the F.D.A.
~~~~~~~
Oh my gosh! I didn't know that!!!

2 comments:

  1. Were you into the mushrooms in the '60s if you know what I mean?
    Do you have any good maggot recipes?

    ReplyDelete