Followers

Friday, July 26, 2019

Accumulation of Words


Patriotism ruled in those days. Entire families waited on the train station platform for this special happening in our small town.

The Freedom Train - Complete Piece
Oh Freedom Train we’re glad to say,
you’re like the flag we use today.
With royal colors, red and blue,
Inside we’ll go to look at you,
Oh, papers rare, and very old,
Are precious more than mints of gold.
With rights secured will always be,
So safe and pure for you and me.
Slogan: The Freedom Train is a symbol of freedom.
By Geraldine, 1947
``````````````````````
The words of a horse-crazy child who is fantasizing.


The Young Horsewoman - Complete Piece
She climbs astride her fiery steed,
(her pigtails just a-bobbin’)
She thinks he is the grandest mount,
(of course, it’s only Dobbin)
Around the great arena,
(the pasture fence, you know)
She shows him off and hugs his neck,
(her face is all aglow)
One day this massive beast will reach a ripe old age,
and then the little girl will begin another stage.
The mare and she blend into one,
(her pigtails are all gone!)
The Judge has marked her up for blue,
(her legs are long, her pants are new)
With gentle hands she rides and jumps into another life,
My little daughter soon will be a tender, patient wife.
By Geraldine, 1946 

Mom, I don’t know how to properly punctuate this.
``````````````````````
Finally, the young girl has a horse. An old, old one, but a real living animal. She is beside herself with joy and thankfulness. 

The Red Mare - Complete Piece
With flashing hoofs and flying mane,
That mare of mine is such a pain.
She bucks, she rears, she kicks about,
She turns herself right inside out!
Her shining coat and stockings white,
Are to me a charmful sight.
With head and tail held very high,
I thrill to watch her trotting by.
I’ll never own a horse like she;
Again, I know, because you see--
She’s proved to me, the best mare known,
Because she is my very own.
By Geraldine, 1948
``````````````````````
As a child I was always "with cat" and sometimes many.

Welcome Stray - Complete Piece
The woman lived alone,
Her days were long and sad.
She had no kin to care for her,
No friend to make her glad.
And then one night the cat appeared.
It crept up on the sill,
It edged itself in past the door,
And crouched there very still.
The woman saw the timid thing,
And beckoned it to stay.
So now her hours have purpose
As they pass from night to day.
Do you know this sly old cat
Has lived there all this while?
The only thing for years and years
To make the woman smile.
By Geraldine, 1976
``````````````````````
One time, long ago, there were over 50 ‘mouses’in my 'houses.'

My middle daughter bred and raised them in her genetic experiments for her 4-H project. She was Grand Champion in the project for a couple of years, then gave them all away at the fair one year, in baby food jars with holes punched in lids.

Pet Mouse - Complete Piece

With paws curled tight and head tucked in, his tail all wrapped around,
My little mouse is fast asleep, he surely can't be found!
Then all at once his whiskers twitch, his beady eyes peer up,
I've come with seeds and bits to fill his little cup.
By Geraldine, August 1976
``````````````````````
Sometimes I'm still overwhelmed by so many wonderful memories of my Grandparents! 

Memories of the Visit - Complete Piece
Grandma baked a cake for me, a chocolate one, I think.
She put it in the oven but it soon began to sink.
She baked a batch of cookies…the kind for which I yearn.
She put them in the oven, too, but they commenced to burn.
“A pie!” she said, “I’ll roll the crust, you go and gather berries.”
But birds had done their natural thing…they even ate the cherries.
“Now go find Gramps, he’s in the den, he’ll show you what to do.
He’ll build a toy with nails and wood and lots of paint and glue.”
But Grandpa banged his thumb, and gosh it really hurt!
He spilled the paint on Grandma’s rug and down his brand new shirt!
The cake won’t rise, the cookies smell, the pie is from the can.
And Grandpa’s thumb is wrapped in white, the rug and shirt are tan.
I went and sat beside the door, for Mom was coming soon.
I read a book and sat quite still…perhaps I hummed a tune.
“I had a lovely time!” I said, when Mother came that day.
“I didn’t touch a single thing! I wasn’t in the way!
My tummy’s full, and I’m sure tired; I think I’ll go to bed.”
I took the dog that Grandpa made, and it was painted RED.
By Geraldine, September 1976
````````````````````````````````````````````


1 comment:

  1. My gosh...these are all so very good! I think my favorite is of the woman and the cat. It's a bit of association for me.

    ReplyDelete