Followers

Saturday, February 22, 2020

Miscellaneous

This was an unusual conclusion. I always save the appliance paperwork when we purchase something, large or small. The cap on the water tank of our Sunbeam humidifier cracked and the valve was failing. I dug out the paperwork and saw it was purchased in 2014 at Walmart. I made a note of the model and serial#. There was a chart for identification of parts but the cap wasn't pointed out so I called the number for customer service assistance, feeling sure that I could just order a cap or even a new tank with cap included.

After my explanation to the representative, she had me look on the metal prong of the plug to tell her the numbers that were there. I was then told that the appliance was obsolete! No parts were available! What?!!!!!!  I had just purchased 9 more filters!

I really expressed my frustration about this, but politely and firmly. Finally she told me that she would consider my problem and give me a "one-time customer accommodation." A new replacement Sunbeam humidifier (value $36) will be sent out immediately with no shipping, tax or costs of any sort. The unit does not come with wick filters, though. I will have to order them. The ones I have won't fit. (Maybe we can cut them down and use them anyway, we'll see.....) For the new model they measure 4-1/2" x 20" x 1". The 9 old model filters measure 6-3/8" x 20-1/2 x 1".  Ya think??

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Sometimes you win AND lose at the same time. The new one is black, not my choice, but....

We learned three things. First, the numbers on the plug prongs tell the true age of the appliance to those who know how to decipher them. Secondly, you can be appeased, even if only with restrictions. Thirdly, things today are meant to be thrown out when replacement parts can't be ordered after just a few years and it is expected that you will have to buy new.

Here is the one we have. It is listed $46.00 but it is "out of stock" wherever I find it on the internet.
Here is the new free replacement model.  

3 comments:

  1. I rather like the sleeker look of the new one. Hopefully, it will be easier to keep clean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Around here we need a DEhumidifier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine how entertaining the crows and eagles would be cleaning up behind the fishers. I also think I have some love of nature in my DNA as well.

    ReplyDelete