Followers

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Yeow! Sooo Good!

I wanted to try a new recipe and found one that sounded good... I had no idea that, at my age, it would call for so much standing, rolling, waiting, BUT!.....

Gingerbread cookies - you know the hard kind that you cut into men and women and decorate with icing and hang on the tree - well that is NOT what I had in mind. Been there, made them in the past years; too hard to bite that variety now so I wanted something very tasty and CHEWY. Chewy was the goal and these are - besides that, they are kinda soft, and delightfully spicy and sweet. A very distinctive fragrance fills this old cabin as they baked.
click on image to view larger
Now go make yours! Here is the Recipe:


CHEWY GINGERBREAD COOKIES

Ingredients

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar (I use dark)
1 egg
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons molasses
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher (coarse) salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
2/3 cup granulated or coarse sugar (I used Demerara coarse sugar as I didn’t have white coarse sugar)
Steps

1. In large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in egg and molasses. Stir in the remaining ingredients except the sugar. Cover; refrigerate for at least 2 hours!

2. Heat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. (I have parchment paper, it only takes one sheet for entire batch.) Put the sugar in a small bowl. Shape the dough into 1 inch balls (about the size of a walnut) and roll in the sugar. Place the balls about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.

3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or just until set and soft in the center. (10 minutes worked for me and I used a timer.)  Cool 2 minutes and then transfer from cookie sheet to cooling racks. Store tightly covered up to one week. (I stacked them on a covered cake container and they will not last one week, I know it!)

Makes 60 cookies! 


4 comments:

  1. This is a recipe Doug's Mom made for years. Now our daughter has made it her signature recipe. It regularly makes it's way via airmail to her son in England. Yum !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have plans to make gingerbread men with raisins for eyes & buttons this year...closer to Christmas. They look like ginger snaps ...only chewy?

    ReplyDelete