Followers

Monday, October 29, 2018

All Hallows' Eve

I try hard to stay away from controversial subjects but have something to say today.

When my 6 kids went out on Halloween to visit neighbors for treats, they all - always - wore home-made costumes. I don't think I ever bought a costume, though there were a few face masks in the closet. The bags they carried were either brown shopping bags with handles or, earlier in their lives- pillowcases! We were never afraid that they would be given something dangerous or poisoned. They had parties at school. The fun of the entire time was the planning to have a lot of candy and then exploring their stash. The key word is costumes. Period.

I remember smearing burn cork on my young kid's faces and hands with white zinc oxide and mercurochrome here and there but they went as bums or hoboes and race never entered my mind. They were just dirty, unwashed, unshaven raggedy characters wearing tattered outfits. 

Today as I think back, these "dressups" actually implied that they were impersonating the colored race but that was NEVER the intent. Geeze - With all of the hullabaloo today about white face, black face, my heart is sickened. DO NOT LIKE!

This is Halloween! Pictures from family in Philadelphia.
please click to view larger
I also don't understand "walking dead." Can someone explain?

1 comment:

  1. I remember dressing up as a hobo.
    People are sensitive or pretend sensitive these days just waiting for someone to say or do something that they can react to. I'm not sure if that happens honestly or if it's just ego driven. "Look at me! I'm so concerned with all these important issues!"
    There is a television show about the walking dead. I've never seen it but walking dead or zombies are reanimated corpses usually under some evil doers control so they can no doubt, get revenge or take over the world. I dealt with some of them when I worked at the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete