Followers

Monday, May 6, 2013

Magnificent Plant

All I can say is that I sure hope it blooms while I'm here!

Never before, in the 15 years that I have been here for the length of time consisting of 2 months in May and June has this plant EVER produced this stalk. How exciting to think that it may bloom before I return  to PA. It actually looks like a GIANT asparagus.

What do you think?







agave [əˈgeɪvɪ ˈægeɪv]
n
(Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Plants) any plant of the genus Agave, native to tropical America, with tall flower stalks rising from a massive, often armed, rosette of thick fleshy leaves: family Agavaceae. Some species are the source of fibres such as sisal or of alcoholic beverages such as pulque and tequila See also century plant

century plant
n
(Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Plants) an agave, Agave americana, native to tropical America but naturalized elsewhere, having very large spiny greyish leaves and greenish flowers on a tall fleshy stalk. It blooms only once in its life, after 10 to 30 years (formerly thought to flower after a century) Also called American aloe

2 comments:

  1. Well I've never seen anything like it. Hope you catch the bloom. That would be something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say it looked like a century plant we had in our yard when I was little....and it had lots and lots of thorns on it....and my friend fell into it when we were playing....he ran all the way home crying...thorns all over him. sad.

    Congratulations on your green thumb!

    ReplyDelete