Followers

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Spring in Northeastern Pennsylvania


I looked back through my recent posts and saw that Spring came in at the SC campground where we go often, in early March. In fact, on March 20, I posted photos of turtles, egrets, blue herons and the state flower, Yellow Jassamine. 

Well it FINALLY arrived around Cabin Tranquillity, located in the Endless Mountains Region of PA.That is wonderful for the upcoming local and nearby events as some are held outdoors and we are all tired of being so cold!

I actually stepped foot outside and took some pictures.





I'm sorry to say the forsythia is not yet in bloom as it has been at this time in the past, but the daffodils are my harbingers of spring; (and the ducks, geese and nesting birds have all returned and are very busy).




As James was being undressed after wearing his winter attire since September, I noticed that he is shedding all of his outer skin (bark) and will look different soon. It had to happen as time goes on.....I'm going to leave him unclothed until July, when he will again become a patriotic guardian.


Several of our state trees, the Eastern Hemlock, grow around the cabin and, for many many years, the one on the bank of the lake's edge has been the home for several different varieties of bird. We call it the woodpecker tree because the large hole in the trunk which faces the cabin exposes their activities so well. My dad once cautioned us to never cut it down with a chain saw because he had filled that hole with concrete in an effort to save the tree from dying. ????? Well, the opening must have expanded because it is still a hole and the tree lives on in spite of its repair.

I just love Spring's awakenings!

4 comments:

  1. James is just looking weathered like the rest of us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got your card....thanks for missing me. I put my blog back just for you. Seriously....and me. I have missed writing and taking pictures. Hubby has too. I won't delete it again. :) Hugs!!! BEAR HUGS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleading gets results - sometimes......Thanks.

      Delete