Followers

Saturday, August 19, 2023

Saving Seeds

 There is nothing like a vine-ripened home-grown tomato! I'm still saving seeds. It is one of my compulsions and a part of my yearly obligations. Yes, that's how I feel about my Oxheart tomatoes. I no longer start nor grow these but my daughters do. The first batch has fermented and are drying. ALWAYS on newspaper! 

Even if this year's yield is smaller in size, let me tell you that the flavor is the same.

 This morning I sliced it and saved some of the seeds. They are fermenting in their own juice for several days before being washed and strained and dried. 
The remainder of the seeds will also be saved and   processed after I have consumed the rest of that beauty in a sandwich with only mayo and salt and pepper. Ummmm!   
tap on image to view larger
 It looks like I'll have three batches of seeds to wrap in plain paper and then store in containers in the freezer for the winter. I might even try starting a few myself - again!

No comments:

Post a Comment