The recipe called for a 9" springform cake pan. I don't have one of those - never did, so I improvised with a glass 9" square baking dish. My blueberries were frozen. My lemon zest and pre-squeezed lemon juice were frozen. Thawing those was the first order of the day.
I should have pushed the 2nd layer of berries deeper into the dough, but it really didn't matter at all because it is a WONDERFUL CAKE! I plan to make it again and this time will bake it for only 45 minutes so it isn't so tan on the bottom. I forgot to compensate timing for a glass foil-lined pan. A piece for you and a piece for me!
|please click on image to taste the goodness|
RECIPE Blueberry Lemon Cake
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sour cream (8oz)
- 1/2 cup light olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 medium lemon zest and juice, divided
- 1/2 Tbsp corn starch
- 16 oz fresh blueberries *
- 1. Lightly butter a 9-inch springform pan and line the bottom with parchment. Preheat Oven to 375˚F.
- 1. Beat 2 eggs and 1 cup sugar with whisk attachment on high speed 5 min, or until light in color and thick.
- 2. Add 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup oil, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/4 tsp salt and whisk on low speed until well combined.
- 3. Whisk together the 2 cups flour with 2 tsp baking powder then add to batter 1/3 at a time, whisking to incorporate with each addition (DO NOT OVERMIX). Finally, add 1 Tbsp lemon juice and 1/2 Tbsp zest.
- 4. Rinse blueberries and drain well. In a medium bowl, toss blueberries with 1/2 Tbsp corn starch and 1 tsp lemon juice, stirring until well combined and no dry white cornstarch remains.
- 5. Pour half of batter into prepared springform pan and spread evenly. Top with half of the blueberries. Spread with remaining batter then sprinkle the rest of the blueberries evenly over the top, pushing them slightly into the batter (about halfway). Bake at 375˚F for 45 to 55 min, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cake rest in the pan 15-20 min then remove ring and cool until room temp or just warm. Serve dusted with powdered sugar.
- Recipe Notes
- *If using frozen blueberries, thaw and drain then in step #4: toss with 1 Tbsp cornstarch and omit lemon juice. Do not add more than 16 oz blueberries or they weigh down the cake.
I'm drooling. Bud would love this, I'm sure.ReplyDelete