Followers

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Dismayed

I was asked by a good friend to accompany her to a vacant house near me to take photos for her. She lives out of state and the homeowner is planning to sell this place. My friend is considering purchasing and fixing it to her own preferences. She knows this will be a major undertaking. The homeowner has already moved into a new home closer to town and hasn’t returned to finish her move since August. The homeowner’s husband has Alzheimer’s and she is overwhelmed with his care and also the care of her two young grandchildren. There haven’t been general repairs made or positive maintenance since his illness. 

The home was built around 1990. It was built throughout with very high quality materials. In its heyday it was a beautiful and busy place as her husband had an active  business and his office was in the basement. Together they raised four children of their own.

All I could feel was dismay at how topsy turvy and disorganized the homeowner became when the going got so overpowering. If she had organization skills before, they certainly haven’t been used recently. I understand that some people are VERY organized and some not at all in the first place. I don’t know the homeowner but suspect she lacked them to begin with. 

I am surprised at how I was impacted with such waste and just don’t understand it. It’s me, I suppose, because through living frugally and carefully all of my life I simply CANNOT waste - anything. I don’t hoard at all. That’s not what I mean. It’s hard to describe. 

I took 108 photos throughout the house about five in each area. There are porches and decks, three bedrooms, three bathrooms, a foyer, kitchen, dining room, living room, family room, and a full basement and full attic. My old bones and muscles got an extensive workout, but I discovered I liked the documentation aspect of my camera work. 

It almost made me physically sick, though to see so many home-canned foods left on the cellar shelves, clothes still in the laundry room, and boxes, boxes, boxes everywhere. There weren’t many pieces of furniture, but a conglomeration of items throughout the place were still in good and usable condition. 

My friend now can study and make a list of pros and cons. 


I’ll only post a few of the photos and you will understand my feelings. I think. 










 So Sad!

3 comments:

  1. I would imagine that having to deal with a person with Alzheimer's plus young children is quite life altering and material things just have to take a back seat to the more pressing needs. It sounds like a handful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow....I believe that was just overpowering and she must have felt helpless to deal with ALL THAT STUFF. wow. wow. I cannot imagine having to go through all of that and decide what to do with it. Trash most of it, I suppose. Or donate it to a local shelter. What a mess. It's depressing just looking at the pictures....I can only imagine how I would feel in person....like, "get me out of here!" And I'm not that organized, but a mess like that....I'd just have to run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The home is beautiful, even under all that chaos. Alzheimer's is extremely difficult to deal with. That poor lady! Dealing with that AND raising grandchildren would certainly make me frazzled. I hope she has someone to help her through this phase in her life. God bless her.

    ReplyDelete