Followers

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Special Delivery

My brother stopped in this morning to share some freshly picked asparagus from his garden. He brought in a large plastic bagful and told me to pick out some. The next person he will bring some to will make asparagus soup with hers. I've said it before and I will repeat again that we are very spoiled with vegetables that are picked just a few hours before they arrive here for our meals. WOW are we lucky! This bunch is soaking in cold water before I roast it later. To see how I roast it please go to the link at the bottom of this page in case you missed my May 12 blog.
He also brought a dozen eggs that were just gathered from his henhouse. I shall rinse them just before use. (It's the "old way" as there is a natural covering that keeps out bacteria.) Some say to never wash them.

"The reason I don't wash them is that eggs are laid with a natural, protective “bloom” on them. This coating helps keep bacteria out of the fresh eggWashing removes the bloom and can actually contribute to bacterial contamination.

Unwashed eggs will last at least two weeks unrefrigerated, and three months if refrigerated. Washed eggs should be refrigerated, and will last at least two months, but won't taste as fresh as an unwashed egg of the same age.

If the eggs have a little manure on them, you can wipe with a damp cloth for small spots. A really dirty egg can be submerged and scrubbed with a vegetable brush. Always use warm water; cold water will make the egg shrink inside the shell and will draw in bacteria. Let eggs air-dry thoroughly before putting them away."
Source~Internet



No comments:

Post a Comment