|Click on image to view larger|
Please don't think these have the texture of cupcakes or cake just because they have icing. The texture is drier and denser and they are heavy and sweet MUFFINS.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: about 30 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups applesauce
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional (YES use these!)
- Cinnamon-sugar, optional
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Stir in applesauce. Combine the flour, baking soda and spices; stir into creamed mixture. Fold in nuts.
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar if desired. Yield: about 2 dozen.