Followers

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Oscar Left Today

He was 13. He was a beautiful Golden Retriever. He had caring and loving family and friends, including Harley the Weimaraner, who left first. They were my neighbors.

Both the Golden Retriever and the Weimaraner have only an average life span of 10-12 years, and these buddies both were here for 13. According to research, cancer is the most common cause of death in the American Goldens and is the breed's biggest killer. Oscar had cancer. 

I was compelled to make a personal card for them. My thoughts were infused with sadness that I can't explain. This is what I wrote:

"We feel your loss of your beloved pet, Oscar. We know he will be greatly missed and  know he'll remain with you in memory for a lifetime. Memories never die.

Oscar had a good life and was happy and content and well cared for in his and your lives. Now he is gone and you all grieve. It is a wonderful thing to have good and sympathetic friends who care and loved him too.  He was a perfect companion for you and others, including his friend, Harley.

Be sure to appreciate how he affected your lives and you'll remember him with love. He's now peacefully asleep."

I don't think I've ever sent a sympathy card to anyone regarding the loss of a pet. We have lost many through the years and I do know how it feels - oh, yes. 


To quote Harley's mistress, "Lake Chrisann has lost a beautiful soul today."
Oscar died in his sleep.


3 comments:

  1. We had a Siamese cat that graced our lives for 25 years!!!! I was with her when she was beginning to have heart failure!! It's so sad to have a furbaby leave us behind. But, oh the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up we had a cat for 20 years. She was special. She hung around with us kids slept with us and came into the room if one of us was getting yelled at by a parent and meowed loudly as if to say, Hey don't yell at them!" She survived getting hit by a car at the age of 7. None of us will ever forget her so I know the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is wonderful and heart felt. I am sure it will mean so much to your neighbors. I sympathize with you all because I know how it feels to lose a pet...it's like losing a member of your family...and a neighbor's dog is like losing a friend. I'm so sorry for all of your loss. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete