Followers

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Wired!


I'm Wired! 

It's not what you think. Since I have been receiving a regimen of physical therapy, my sessions end with a TENS treatment and an ice pack. For those of you who don't know what a TENS is I'll explain. 

Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation
TENS is a non-invasive, low risk nerve stimulation intended to reduce pain. In simple terms, a TENS delivers electrical pulses through the skin to the surface and deep nerves to the spinal cord and brain. Then endorphins are released. (This is a bit of what it says on my unit's user's manual.) Remember this is only a simple explanation! In other words, It uses a set of electrodes attached to the skin that deliver up to 60 milliamps of current into the nerves where the pain occurs. This jolt serves to disrupt the pain signals coming from those nerves, and instead of hurting, the area ends up feeling tingly or even numb.
If you need to know more about a TENS, you can research and learn about its use. My medical physician prescribed a unit for me to use at home as I feel necessary. 

Right now, I have the electrodes attached to my painful shoulder and feel very comfortable. My unit is attached to my waistband and running on batteries. It does seem to help and each day I plan to use it for only fifteen minutes; and I need to know how fast it eats batteries so I'm keeping track.
I only use the shoulder program option, but it has low back/hip, hand/wrist, knee and a select back options. Actually it can be quite complicated. The LCD screen that displays the therapy sessions is nice, but doesn't light up. 
The self-adhesive electrodes really stick to my skin! I AM connected! 

2 comments:

  1. I hurt everywhere with OA, Sounds pretty good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol....all I can think is a ton of corney replies....sorry....like, "whatever turns you on", or "you like gettting juiced"....you get the idea. I'm glad it is helping.... :)

    ReplyDelete