Followers

Thursday, August 3, 2017

Tasty Casserole

A friend called me a "FOODIE" and I think it is a complement - anyway I'll take it as one. Yes, I like to bake and cook and encourage others to use some of my recipes. I share them all. So...here is another foodie story.

A friend gave me some summer squash and I used my old Bluffton slicer and ripped right through the tender vegetable. Carrots and onions were shredded with the old type of utensil and then I made this recipe. I will tell you it was very good and the mister and I ate almost the entire casserole bowlful!
please click on image to view larger
I admit I added some extra bread crumbs on top, hoping it would bubble up and create a crispy crust. It didn't. The next time I make this I will try baking it in my cast iron skillet. That will brown the edges as the glass dish didn't do that. I used Progresso Italian bread crumbs in this recipe. I also used carrots as we don't care much for peppers.
Recipe
How to make Scalloped Squash: By Suzanne McMinn
2 cups (or so) sliced yellow squash
1 cup chopped onions and/or peppers (hot or sweet)
2 tablespoons butter
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
1 cup bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded cheese (Cheddar or whatever)
Depending on how big the squash is, after slicing, either cut in halves or quarters.

Cook the squash and onions (and/or peppers) in butter till tender.

Combine egg, milk, bread crumbs, and a dash of salt and pepper in a large bowl. For me, one cup of bread crumbs is one thick slice of Grandmother Bread, crumbled finely in my mini food processor.

Stir in the squash mixture and the shredded cheese. Pour into a 1.5 quart greased casserole dish. Top with a sprinkling of fresh chopped chives if you’ve got ’em! My herb garden this weekend (the chives just got a haircut):

Bake at 350-degrees for about 30 minutes.

Also excellent for zucchini!
Now go forth and scallop.

No comments:

Post a Comment