Saturday, August 12, 2017

Failure

Do you know what this is? Well, it is supposed to be blackberry fruit leather. NOT!

I think I know what error I made. First I washed the blackberries that I picked and then mashed them through a strainer to eliminate the seeds. It yielded 1/2 cup of juice. I warmed it and added 1/2 cup sugar, stirring until completely dissolved.  I then poured it onto the drying sheet in the dehydrator and ran it for nine hours! (Yes, I set it on the correct setting and it was running the entire time.) After it had cooled down, I peeled it off onto a parchment sheet, noticing that it was rubbery and not at all dried and firm. Then I scraped it off of the parchment and put it in a glass jar and re-heated it. I now have jelly. It is delicious but I wanted blackberry fruit leather!

Oh well, today we went to the Farm Market and picked up another cantaloupe, six ears of corn and Sunbright freestone peaches. Maybe I can dry some peach slices successfully with the dehydrator. I'll let you know. Sometimes the old ways of drying fruits work better. This method is new to me.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I've never tried making fruit leather before. But have dried fresh fruit [without dehydrator...in an oven] and it was soooo good!!

    ReplyDelete