Followers

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Eggs!

Last week my brother and my daughter each brought us a dozen of home-grown brown eggs. They are very special! I made some potato salad for lunch and then tried a new pickled egg recipe. I won't be able to tell you how the eggs turned out yet. They have to age in the refrigerator for at least a week. I usually make pickled beets and eggs so this is a drastic change.
 Do know that I slice my pre-cooked potatoes for the potato salad with my OLD ACME egg slicer? Made in USA! Of course I sliced the eggs with it as well. 
Please click on image to view larger
RECIPE for  Classic Pickled Eggs follows....I remember these being in a large jar at a bar we used to patronize in the past but never ate one. No guarantees for goodness - yet!

CLASSIC PICKLED EGGS

12  eggs
3 cups white vinegar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf

Directions
Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 15 minutes. Remove eggs from hot water, cool under cold running water, and peel.
*Bring vinegar, sugar, and salt to a boil in a saucepan until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.

Place eggs, garlic, and bay leaf in a 1-quart mason jar; top with vinegar mixture. Seal jar and refrigerate for at least 1 week. 
For a variation, add dry minced onion flakes, crushed red pepper or hot sauce to the brine."

*I added 1 cinnamon stick and 5 whole cloves.  Just because!

No comments:

Post a Comment