Followers

Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Chestnuts

I remember my mother having a large bowl of chestnuts on the dining room table during holidays. I also remember that they were the size of horse pucky. She roasted them on a tray in the oven and they were easy to get the middle part out. It tasted like a roasted chestnut. DUH!

Yesterday my daughter brought me some that she found under a chestnut tree at the roadside when she was walking her dog. She collected some, took off the outer shell and brought them to me. 

I had never seen any this small, (about the size of a Dum Dum lollipop) but scored each one and roasted them according to directions I found on internet.  Well you know how I always refer to either being the statue or the pigeon? I was the statue today after all the work! They will break our teeth! The squirrels across the road that live in the big pine tree will love me.

please click on image to view larger

I baked them way too long (25 min at 475°) and have figured out that about 10 minutes would have been enough. Oh well, if you ever have some and want to roast them, this link might help. 

Roasted Chestnuts 

1 comment:

  1. I don't ever recall having any. My dad always had a bowl of mixed in-the-shell nuts during the holidays, but my choices were pecans & brazil nuts!!

    ReplyDelete