Followers

Thursday, November 16, 2017

My Social Media

Yes, I do have a Facebook site.  Yes, I do have an Instagram site. Yes, I do belong to Twitter.  Best of all I have a Blogger site - no! Make that four but this is the one I use the most.  I don't want more friends, followers, or conversations. My use here first of all, is to share and I also love to document and incorporate my growing photography efforts. It's like a practice board to me. I also love to learn, and everyday I do by reading other's stories.

I have been solicited to accept more Facebook friends. Well, my answer is emphatically, "No." My friends on Facebook are people who are my extended family. There are 17. Three grandchildren, one great granddaughter, one niece, one nephew, one great nephew, one stepdaughter, one substitute daughter, one substitute son, one wife of the substitute son, one substitute grandson, one substitute granddaughter, four "beach girlfriends." I don't even have my own children included there - on purpose. I like to keep my correspondence with them more private. I joined Facebook January 2009, therefore am in my 9th year. 

It is a long story how I started blogging but I'll just say that I accidentally came across an entry on the internet when I was searching for a printer and there was a review written by a fellow in the US Army, based in Texas and he contacted me to suggest a good printer. He was a blogger. He complained a lot and wrote whatever he was feeling at the time, trying to get through a divorce and being the father of a young son. I found myself reading his blogs daily and became brave enough to start my own. Soon I shook myself loose from his stories and here I am - nine years later. I lost one of my blogs when I accidentally deleted it when trying to change the format. That was about 10 years ago. I have read stories written by very brave and dying people. I mostly enjoy wit and humor in people's writings and still hang on and follow two special ones of that type. I see many photographs of places that I will never travel in person and they make me feel that I am on site when I see the images. There is so much "out there" that I simply cannot understand why the internet is misused and become even dangerous to our lives! I don't understand the bullying and meanness that I now see. I don't understand all of the swearwords and hateful remarks that are so openly exposed. Recently it's becoming a sorry place to be. I'm thinking of putting my head in the sand and seeing through rose colored glasses. Then I will see all things in a positive light and be happier here. The internet, especially social media seem to me to both good and evil. I'll take good.



3 comments:

  1. I try to let the meanness just go on past me. Some of it is from robot software or trolls from other countries who want to divide us. And some is from pathetic souls who are starved for attention. Just keep doing what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Facebook...only for Irene. Erik refuses any kind of social media except for news. Bud is the same way. Me? I enjoy blogging and keeping a diary of sorts...it's an outlet to recording my life in some way.

    I totally agree with you about the meanness, swearing, lies that has become a thing of our lives that is all too commonly seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lack of morals today is what bothers me the most but there are others like judgemental, cruel, ignorant, biased and just plain rude! Then there is the plus side: keeping up with friends and family, enjoying sharing the pictures and keeping up with technology and what's going on in our world. Doing just this expressing how I feel. Have a blessed evening.

    ReplyDelete