Followers

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The Journey Before...

Among the papers and photographs that my mother saved among her ancestry things I found another little booklet describing what could be found and how to be a part of the business that functioned in the early 1900's. She was born in Newark, NJ in 1914 and her father was, at that time listed as a paper box manufacturer.  I do remember that she had told me that her father, was also an accountant and bookkeeper. I believe that may have been after they moved to Andover, NJ during the depression years, where his family was located. She later married in Tranquility, NJ in 1934.

This booklet, produced in 1920, was aimed at securing a safe investment in stocks. I can't figure out why it was kept!

The Great Depression started during the summer of 1929. On October 24, 1929, the stock market bubble finally burst, as investors began dumping shares en masse. A record 12.9 million shares were traded that day, known as “Black Thursday.” Five days later, on “Black Tuesday” some 16 million shares were traded after another wave of panic swept Wall Street. Millions of shares ended up worthless, and those investors who had bought stocks “on margin” (with borrowed money) were wiped out completely.

We make a big mistake when we don't ask our family history more thoroughly just for the reason that it might be important or interesting to know as we age. It's quite vague to me now and I regret that I didn't ask nearly the amount of questions that I should have. Today I want to have answers to what has been left behind regarding family backgrounds and life experiences. It's too late.

Now to the booklet. It measures 4.75 x 7.25 inches and is in fair shape. 
My research efforts to learn more about this company resulted in meager finds. This all I have to add. I can't figure out why it was kept!
please click on image to view larger

1 comment:

  1. Extraordinary!!!

    ...and I enjoyed the previous post of all the fashions of 'the day'.

    ReplyDelete