Followers

Monday, February 15, 2016

Question Answered


And...My friend has a similar instrument and calls it a harpsichord. I believe she may have purchased it at an estate sale. 

Source of information below: 

Zither

According to the Dictionary, the zither is a stringed instrument consisting of usually 30-40 strings stretched over a flat-sounding box. It is played horizontally with the fingertips, a plectrum, a bow, or sometimes by wind, as is the case with the Aeolian harp.
Traditionally, it is a folk instrument of Austria and the Bavarian Alps. The melody strings are stopped against frets on the finger board while being plucked with a plectrum.
Alternate names: zitera, cithara, kitthar, cither, zithern., or German version of the cittern.
Some also call the Pennsylvania German zither, the German concert zither, the guitar-zither, and some plucked psalteries zither's as well.

HarpHarpsichord

A harpsichord is a keyboard instrument whose strings are plucked by means of quills or plectrums. It is of German origin and was made popular from the 16th to 18th centuries.


Also please check out these links...

Harpsichord Info

3 comments:

  1. I did not know that a harpsichord is an upright instrument tho...learned something today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen one but I didn't try to play it, not that I could. I have no idea how it's tuned.

    ReplyDelete