Followers

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

No and Yes to Bird's Nests

Prologue:
Ten years ago, when The Mister was recuperating from his heart surgery in May and June, I watched, from my kitchen window in the cabin, a robin build her nest in the carport. I soon saw 4 little eggs. Then, I saw 4 little heads peeking up with mouths opened wide. I saw Momma bird feed those 4 little barenaked babies. I watched their fuzz turn to feathers. One day I saw a big crow take the last one away in his ugly bill. Boy did that make me angry! Too late for any of them to be saved. I know we shouldn't interfere with nature, but DARN!

The cabin carport used to be a favorite spot for robins to raise their families every spring. That year I watched a particular pair and their nest from beginning to end and the end was so awful that I have tried to deter them from making nests there. You see, the crow found the nest and killed the little recently hatched babies right before my eyes! Never again will they do that where I can see. 










BUT! Birds and their nests and the little ones NEED to be seen sometimes. My friend in SC shared her series of Springtime discoveries of a grandchild. I made the video to remember how wonderful it is.

1 comment:

  1. it is nature's way. sometimes it isn't pretty, but everyone needs to eat.

    ReplyDelete