Followers

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Just Follow the Sugar Trail

I got it into my head this morning to go through my recipe boxes and throw away ones I don't use. There's no sense in keeping recipes if you don't ever use them, is there?

Oh! Oh! I found one for which I have the ingredients already on hand and I didn't have the heart to throw it away without trying it - at least once.

Click on photos to view larger


I started out melting the butter and the peanut butter in a medium sized bowl. When it was totally smooth and hot, I tried to add the sugar. Wrong! The bowl wasn't large enough to enable me to stir it in. I had confectioner's sugar ALL OVER THE PLACE!

Messy me - I have to clean up my work area as I bake so it was a cleanup I did. Well, then the logical thing to do was to reheat the pb and b mixture with the unstirred white messy stuff on top because it has already cooled down. FIRST, it all had to be transferred to a larger bowl, so another mess was created. The stirring process was labor intensive for me - it took muscle. I don't have muscle.


The end result was a nice pan of fudge on the counter, cooling and ready to cut and EAT! EAT! I love peanut butter. I love candy. I'm glad you weren't there to see me.


Don't try it - it's too much work. I may throw away that recipe. After that workout I'm going to go and bag up my dried apples now to relax.


Peanut Butter Fudge:
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
Line an 8-inch or 9-inch square pan with buttered waxed paper. (I used Release foil.)
Combine the peanut butter and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for about one minute. (It took more than one minute.)

Stir. It should be all melted now. You can also do this on the stovetop if you don’t like to use the microwave. (I figured that it would be easier to wash a bowl than a pot so I microwaved it.)
Stir in the vanilla, then the sifted powdered sugar. (Yes, make sure it all is in a large bowl and prepare to do a lot of stirring!)

Spread in the prepared pan.

Chill for about two hours then cut into one-inch squares. (Easy to say - one inch!)


All packed except for the crumbs. I won't share the crumbs.



3 comments:

  1. This is the recipe that I use to make peanut butter balls. Just put the butter and peanut butter on the stove and let it melt over the med/low heat. Still in the powdered sugar. Let cool, form into balls and dip in melted dipping chocolate or bark. Much easier and only 1 step.
    So don't throw out your recipe, just do it in a large saucepan on the stove. Then have your husband do the stirring in of the sugar. ::-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should read stir in the powdered sugar instead of still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, Beth, I wanna' come to your house.....homemade peanut butter cups?! mmmmm.

    Again, dear Gere, you sure do put yourself through a lot of work! You said it was a lot of work, but you didn't say if it was good....I'm guessing it was since you won't share the crumbs!

    ReplyDelete