Followers

Sunday, February 2, 2020

Bread

No not $, REAL bread. I have always cut up left over or stale bread to make stuffing or bread puddings. I'm lucky not to be one of those who cannot tolerate bread or have to avoid it because of weight watching. The last time I saved some I made a bread pudding. Now my aim is to create stuffing or dressing, whichever you call it. I need just a little bit more. (see recipe) When I place a plateful on top of the heater to dry, Duckie promises not to eat any. 

Ingredients
3/4 cup diced onion
3 celery stalks diced (1/2-3/4 cup)
2 garlic cloves minced
2/3 cup butter
1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
12 cups 1-inch stale bread cubes (1 large loaf french bread) 3-4 cups chicken broth
1 egg beaten
1⁄4 cup fresh parsley minced
3 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves-minced
3 teaspoons fresh sage-minced 


  • Preheat oven to 350°
  • Add bread cubes to a large bowl and set aside.
  • Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté onions and celery until soft and translucent; about 5-6 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
  • Add vegetables and fresh herbs to the bowl with the bread and stir.
  • Whisk egg together with chicken broth, then pour over bread until it’s moist but not soggy. You may not need all of the broth. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Pour bread mixture into a 13x9-inch buttered baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15- 20 minutes. Watch closely once uncovered so the top doesn’t burn. 
If you missed my bread pudding story and recipe, click on this link to see how it turned out. Bread Pudding

1 comment:

  1. I just made your bread pudding today in fact! Had to snack on it right out of the oven. DEEliscious

    ReplyDelete