Followers

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Jam

Guess what kind?

This is freezer jam and I only made a small batch with three peaches. I combined an old recipe and a new one. It tastes good and I'm waiting for it to set now. 
Click on image to view larger
If it doesn't *set as much as I hope, we'll just use it for sauce over pound cake, waffles, ice cream.

Wish I had a dehydrator...maybe next year. I intend to dry some slices my old way - on a screen over the arms of a chair. That's how I do some of the apples.

*Hey! It set just fine and is delicious!

Peach Freezer Jam

Makes 5 to 6   8-ounce jars
5 Ball® Plastic (8 oz) Freezer Jars or 8 oz half pint glass jars with lids and bands. (I use ZipLoc 8 oz. Plastic Cups with lids.) 

INGREDIENTS:
4 cups of ripe, fresh crushed peaches (that have been peeled and pitted) (I mash with potato masher)
1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 package (1.59 ounces) of Ball Instant Fruit Pectin
  (5 T. powder)

DIRECTIONS:

COMBINE prepared fruit with lemon juice in a large bowl. Add sugar, mixing thoroughly. Let stand 10 minutes.

Gradually stir in bag or (5 T- one at a time) of pectin (be sure not to get clumps). Once the pectin is combined, stir the mixture constantly for three minutes.

Ladle into clean jam jars, seal with lids and rims. Leave 1/2 inch for expansion. Let stand for 30 minutes.

You can enjoy immediately or place in the freezer. The jam will be good for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator (if it lasts that long!) or it will last up to one year in the freezer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment: