Followers

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Early Stroll

It was 8am when I looked out and saw these two teens walking in the rain down the muddy road in front of the cabin. They looked a bit confused or lost while munching on green grass. Folks - it is December 2 and there should be snow!

These two young doe and their mother passed by the other morning at a high speed gallop down the road in front and another recent morning I looked out through the bathroom window and watched the three wandering on the bank behind the cabin. I called the Mister in to see and he spotted a small buck trailing behind. 

Yes, hunting season has begun. Buck season goes on for two weeks and doe season starts next Saturday. Venison meat meals fed our family well in the years past and we understand the reason for this season. No, it is not to hang big antlers on the wall. It really is to feed the family, especially here in our area. 

The photos are of the two but I see no differences in size or weight so I think they are last year twins and their mother is probably with a boyfriend.  About a week ago I saw a buck in the field beside our road which I truly thought was a longhorn steer. It really took me a few seconds to realize it was a buck. He was HUGE! His horns were shaped out and up just like a steer. 
Photos taken through cabin front windows.

Photos taken through cabin side window (2 panes and screen)
click on image to view larger

3 comments:

  1. they're beautiful. my family in wisconsin have hunted for meat for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that you should mention deer hunting. There is a 7000 acre reservation west of Boston that hunting has been allowed for the first time in 100 years to thin out the heard for various reasons (over population, spread of Lyme disease etc.). Of course it has been controversial. It will last 4 days. The last time I saw a deer was on the Vineyard last year.
    I have had venison and truthfully I really didn't care for it. Then again I am really a city boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhhhhhhh, my. What a glorious scene from your cabin/window!!! Wow. Takes my breath away.

    ReplyDelete